Woolgatherer's Tales
 
Woolgatherer's Tales
2.27.2006
Are we secretly at war?
There is no doubt that the world is divided in two halves, married people and singles. Time and again, I am forced to think if the married people of the world have united against the singles. Not a day passes without someone mentioning the M word to me. The whole world (alright the married half, at least) thinks I should get married. Do not get me wrong, I have nothing against marriage. In fact, I want to get married sometime. But the point is, why is my single status such a big deal to the people around me?

Is it my potential freedom that scares them?
Do they think all single women are out to get the married men?
Do they recent their state and want others to burn in the same hell?
Or maybe, they are the kind souls who are rolling in marital bliss and want the whole world to experience the joy, is it?
What is it?

I am preplexed by everyones interest in my marital status. I talk of a vaccation in Goa, and they tell me I should get married. I talk about a job shift, and they suggest marriage. I mention a boring weekend, and they swear life can be turned into a fun ride if I just get married. It scares me, it irritates me, and it bugs me to no end.
posted by mystic chick @ 7:47 AM  
6 Comments:
  • At 10:17 PM, Blogger Fun_Da_Mental said…

    LOL... that sounds like a typical 'run-away-from-the-dragon-aunts' syndrome! Believe me, 'get married soon' chanting bothers guys as badly as it does to gals! You bet, why should anyone have a wee bit of interest in marrying one off?! Gosh... the best way would be to keep away from those job-less aunts... their proximity can be injurious to health. :D

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Hathirpithi said…

    This sounds like such a familiar tale. don't give into the pressure bz if you do next you know they will be whining about how you should have babies, in plural, one isnot good enough!

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Vishnupriya said…

    sooooo true. and its not just marriage. the moment one of my friends acquires a boyfriend, her first thought is always of setting up the remaining single ones. i have no idea why.

     
  • At 6:29 AM, Blogger Restless said…

    OMG...u literally took the words off my mouth.
    UNBELIEVABLY frickin true.

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger opinionatedinjerzee said…

    dont worry, i wont force marriage upon you.. i'm married but i always tell myself i will not get my kids married off young.. no way!! unless they come to me and beg to marry them off.. life is short, enjoy!

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger Rachna said…

    I totally agree with you.
    Each of us on the wrong side of 25 (and female and Indian- unfortunate though that sounds) is despaired of- on the shelf- and not saleable anymore.
    It is WAR- and there is nothing secret about it.
    They never tire- only it wears me out- and takes one's soul and spirit away.
    It is actually a Mahabharat- in which one has to fight one's loved ones...
    But Shastraarjan mat kar Hey Arjuna...
    That is what keeps me going!!!!!!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

-->
Who's this chick?


Twenty something. Indian. Genial. People Pleaser. Writer of a sort. Romanticist. Insecure. Impulsive. Emotional. Secretive in real life. Anonymous in cyberland.

More of Mystic Chick
Recent musings
Thoughts gone by
Sush...

This place is all about honesty; the kind of honesty that comes only with anonymity.

Linky-poo
Powered by
BLOGGER